Monday 7 April 2008

Cubaanse Affiches

Cubaanse Affiches (Cuban Posters) is a neat little book issued by the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam in 1971 to accompany its exhibition of posters. This is a very comprehensive and colourful book for what must have been a superb event. The text is in English and Dutch and the quality of posters is excellent. A range of very rare examples are included including the posters documenting the attempts to harvest a record crop of sugar.
icaic ospaaal cuba cuban poster book cubaanse affiches

icaic ospaaal cuba cuban poster book cubaanse affiches

icaic ospaaal cuba cuban poster book cubaanse affiches
icaic ospaaal cuba cuban poster book cubaanse affiches

1 comment:

San said...

I have an original of the "Black Power" that you can see in the book at the bottom right corner. I love that poster but I love more the story of how I got it. I was visiting Cuba and we went to OSPAAAL just to see their exhibition of posters. I fall in love with taht poster (at the time I have no clue what was it related to I just loved the image) but for some reason I couldn't buy a reproduction, I don't remember if their shop was close or what.

But one of my friends was staying longer and she wanted to go back there, so I asked her to buy me a reproduction of that poster.

When we met again, she handed me an original. Apparently they run out of reproductions to sell, and they offer her an original instead...

The poster is now framed in my house in Buenos Aires. I am living in the US and several times I thought about bringing it here, but so far is still in Argentina :)