Sunday, 12 December 2010

The Art of Revolution - Dugald Stermer and Susan Sontag

Dugald Stermer was art director for the left-leaning Ramparts magazine during the late 60s and came across Cuban posters when Reese Erlich, a reporter on the magazine returned from Cuba with a collection that he had acquired. Following this discovery Dugald put together a subsequent collection and produced this classic book on Cuban posters using his own text covering details of the agencies that were producing posters in Cuba. Susan Sontag also contributed text offering her views on poster production (which differ from mine in many ways).

The book itself is the best record of Cuban posters. It is a very large book and all the images are full colour reproductions covering a single page each. I guess this is the result of Dugald's influence. As a passionate and enthusiastic art director he must have been keen to preserve them in as big a format as possible. When I asked Dugald what happened to the posters they used for the book he told me they were left behind at the publishers, where they may have ended up in the bin.

If you collect Cuban posters this book is essential.
96 posters from Cuba


Havana 1970


Havana 1970


Havana 1970

2 comments:

Albin Julek said...

muchas gracias
art as interpretation
you are avenged!

peter king said...

I appreciate you for the efforts you have made in writing this blog. I am hoping for this great work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing capabilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine weblog now. The jogging a blog is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
help me with my essay

affordable market 360

adult market 360